Ukes with Alex
Manager of the Southern Ukulele Store, Ukulele 'Expert', Vlogger, troubleshooter and Uke Magazine Columnist... Also I have a podcast!
I don't like the word expert.. However you swing it you sound a bit of a knob to be honest. The truth is, I know Ukuleles but there isn't another decent word I can use to sum it up.. I have worked with them day in and day out for twelve years as manager of the Southern Ukulele Store and have transitioned over many years from Guitar to Ukulele as a specialist instrumentalist.
Many people ask on Youtube about what I play and my own Ukulele style... Here are some of the Ukes I use on camera more frequently;
1) Sumi Kobo Sakura Koa Tenor Ukulele - In most videos I have used Worth BS Tenor strings with a Daddario BEB031W wound Low G. I also quite like Fremont Blackline Tenor High G strings on this uke.
2) Kanile'a MANAKO Hawaiian Mango Tenor Ukulele - Rotosound UWA Ukes With Alex Tenor Low G strings
(I found nylon strings work best for fingerstyle playing on Kanile'a Ukuleles and teamed up with Rototsound to produce a custom set you can purchase these here)
3) Big Island Uli-T - This Ukulele is made of Cedar/Mango with a unique green stain to the wood on the back and sides. I strung it with my Rotosound UWA Ukes With Alex Low G Strings and it's probably my favourite uke to play despite being one of the cheapest I currently own.
4) Flight A10FM Faded Blue Maple Tenor - This is currently the only left handed Flight Anniversary model in the world and I have been using it for several months strung High G with Uke Logic H-HG-P Strings and a D'addario J5403 Wound C string. Fantastic uke!
5) Pete Howlett Spruce/Black Walnut Jumbo Baritone - Phil and I are sharing this Ukulele to record our Hummingbird and the Crow album and it sounds great.
I am currently working with Rotosound on a Baritone DGBE set but the prototype set I have on this Ukulele are all I have tried thus far.
For those wondering about my playing style; I perform all of the SUS Youtube videos playing a right handed Ukulele upside down but perform and play my own instruments strung for a left handed player.
I am very flattered for the attention the Youtube channel has afforded me, I truly love my job and can't wait to continue my Ukulele journey once things hopefully return back to normal later in 2021. That being said, please do not contact me personally if you want to make a purchase via the Southern Ukulele Store.
If you have a Southern uke store related question, please do get in touch via my work email firstname.lastname@example.org
I am flattered so many people have tried to contact me personally with Ukulele enquires but I do like to switch off and have family time like everybody else 🙂